Breakfast Bites: Stocks are trading in mixed territory this morning balancing better jobless claims and higher consumer confidence against mixed earnings, January retail sales and slowing worker productivity.
- Employers planned to eliminate 53,486 positions, down from the January average of 101,084 covering 1993 – 2011 says Challenger, Gray and Christmas
- Productivity of U.S. workers rose in the 4th quarter at a slower pace than in the prior 3 months
- Claims for U.S. jobless benefits fell last week to 367,000, a sign the labor market is improving
- New York January business conditions rise to 60.1
- Consumer confidence in the U.S. climbed for a second week as Americans became less pessimistic about the prospects for the world’s largest economy
- January same store sales were mixed at best
- Greek budgetary reform talks continue……..