As part of our long partnership with Colombia, we are thrilled to host the first ever Colombia Day at the NYSE. Colombia Day will take place on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at NYSE Euronext. The event, which will include 18 Colombian companies, seeks to promote Colombian issuers with U.S. investors via presentations and media exposure.
Currently, there are two Colombia-based company listed on the NYSE Euronext: retail and commercial banker, Bancolombia  (NYSE: CIB), whose market cap is $11B, and oil company, Ecopetrol  (NYSE: EC), whose market cap is $83 billion.
Issuers will have the opportunity to present in a panel format to potential investors and industry analysts. To commemorate this special day, Colombia company executives will ring the Opening Bell. The NYSE Euronext is pleased to be a sponsor, along with i-advize Corporate Communications, J.P. Morgan, Clifford Chance and Pacific Rubiales. This year’s event has attracted a large audience, and we are already discussing Colombia Day 2012.
FACTS ABOUT COLOMBIA (information from State Department and CIA factbook)
- In January, Colombia assumed a nonpermanent seat on the UN Security Council for the 2011-2012 term
- Fifth largest country and the fourth largest economy in Latin America
- GDP: 283.1 billion (2010 estimate)
- GDP growth: 4.4% (2010 estimate)
- Population: 42 million
- Chief of State: President Juan Manuel Santos Calderon
- The United States is Colombia’s largest trading partner and Colombia improved its ranking to 23rd largest market for U.S. exports in 2009, from 29th in 2007.
- Colombia is the fourth largest market for U.S. exports in Latin America.
- The hydrocarbons and coal mining industries are principal U.S. investment interests.
- See Billionaire Carlos Slims' recent take  on Colombia as commodity haven.
Upcoming country days: Peru Day (03/11/11); Mexico day (03/22/11) and Chile Day (07/15/11). Watch out for our posts on those as well.