It’s December 2012, with a burst of spring in the air as a bustling team puts final touches on the 89th Annual NYSE Holiday Tree Lighting. Excitement is mounting for what promises to be one of the loveliest evenings in recent memory. Christmas on Wall Street is often depicted in art, books, cards and photography alike, but there is something magical about the NYSE Holiday Tree, which has been a tradition since 1923, making it one of the oldest and most visited attractions during the holiday. This event has always been very special for downtown, particularly since September 11 changed the landscape dramatically. The NYSE Holiday Tree Lighting symbolizes community, and the coming together of our organization and the city in the spirit of giving. Employees step up charitable efforts for perennial holiday causes, like City Harvest, NY Coat Drive, Salvation Army, and Toys-For-Tots return as welcome family and friends. This year’s gift to the community has a unique blend of home grown talent, along with renowned artists and up-and-coming stars of tomorrow, to usher in the season for the historic Financial District of Lower Manhattan.
Spreading the holiday cheer, a team of roving brand ambassadors out fitted with back pack dispensers will canvas The Street, serving ConAgra Foods’ Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa topped with Reddi-wip. Joining in the festivities, Ivanka Trump has teamed up with GladWare to promote Cookies for Kids’ Cancer in a clever, creative fashion.
FOX 5 NY Meteorologist Nick Gregory spreads sunshine, and the entertainment lineup for Spruce Evergreen will include performances by:
- Alexandra & The Starlight Band; featuring vocalist and entertainer Alexandra Starlight. Starlight has been covered by national press and appeared on the #1 rated morning show in Los Angeles, Good Day LA. She also appears in the new Rolling Stones 50th Anniversary trailer currently being shown before concerts and in theaters.
- Singer, Song Writer & Guitarist Andy Allo, who has collaborated with Prince and recently appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live!;
- Apollo Theatre Winner Belinda Munro, who will also emcee the tree lighting festivities;
- Blake Whyte, from the cast of Mamma Mia!;
- Hollywood’s emerging vocal talent Elle Winter, currently starring in this season’s competition series, N.B.T. on Radio Disney;
- Grammy award-winning singer-songwriter Gordon Chambers, who has penned hit songs for such iconic R&B legends as Anita Baker, Beyonce, Usher, Aretha Franklin, and Patti Labelle;
- Critically acclaimed trumpeter Gabriel Johnson, who recently performed with Placido Domingo on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno;Gotham Rock Choir, NYC’s first choir devoted exclusively to performance of Pop, Rock & Soul;
- Rock Star Madness Band, featuring Hannah Montana star Shanica Knowles;
- Rosie’s Theater Kids, NYC’s arts education organization inspired by Rosie O’Donnell
The yuletide hype is at a market high with a Twitter war (#Treewars ) sparked between our very own Christmas tree, Spruce Evergreen @NYXmastree and the Rockefeller Center Tree @30RockTree. Join the conversation @NYSEEuronext, so the world can see the true Tree King of New York City #TeamSpruce.